Every business and industry is affected by fatigue; however some types of work and sectors have an inherently higher risk, particularly when shift work is involved.
Fatigue can cause lowered productivity, accidents and even death.
Fatigue can be caused by…
- too little sleep
- physical and emotional problems
- sleep disturbances caused by working irregular shifts
To avoid fatigue…
- go to bed at the same time every night
- don’t drink alcohol or caffeine in the evening
- exercise regularly, but not before bedtime
- get help if you have sleep problems
- vary your work tasks as much as possible so you don’t get bored
- eat a good breakfast and avoid heavy lunches
- save partying for weekends
If you get fatigued…
- get up and walk around
- splash cold water on your face, the back of your neck or the inside of your wrists
- try turning up the lights, turning on the radio, opening the window or moving to a slightly different location
- don’t ignore persistent fatigue. See your doctor if you’re always tired
SafeWork Australia have published a Seminar on “Managing Shift Work and Workplace Fatigue”.
Visit SafeWork Australia’s website: